On Westlaw, Lexis and Bloomberg (Generally)
This guide deals with finding actual briefs, pleadings and motions filed with courts. For forms, see Forms and Practice Materials guide.
Lexis and Westlaw.
Many but NOT ALL briefs, pleadings and motions are available on Lexis and Westlaw. The other pages in this guide set out the coverage for these documents on Lexis and Westlaw, as well as identifying free Internet and other sources for finding briefs.
When you pull up a case:
- WestlawNext, click on the tab that says Filings to access briefs, motions and pleadings.
- LexisAdvance, there is a link on the right side to Related Court Materials.
To search all Briefs, Motions & Pleadings:
- LexisAdvance, select Briefs, Pleadings and Motions from Prefilters, or just run a search for everything.
- WestlawNext, select Briefs or Trial Court Documents from the Browse Widget, or just run a search for everything.
- Bloomberg Law, search Breaking Complaints (includes some from Cuyahoga County); Search Dockets
Recommended One Volume Treatise
Contact a Law Librarian:
Text messages only: 216-539-3331