These free web resources provide an overview of land use and zoning law:
- Legal Information Institute: Law About... Real Property (land law): an overview
- Housing Advocates, Inc. - Land Use & Zoning
Search Databases by Topic
Besides zoning and planning materials, you may want to look at materials dealing with property law in general, environmental law, fair housing, municipal and local government law. See these related guides: Fair Housing, Property Law, Environmental Law, Ohio Local Government Law Resource Guide
Zoning codes are typically established by municipal or township ordinances. State and federal statutes and regulations affect planning and land use: for example, environmental statutes and regulations and eminent domain statutes. Regulations, both federal and state, provide more detail to land use related statutes. Constitutional provisions also come into play, such as substantive and procedural due process, equal protection and first amendment rights. Court cases and administrative decisions interpret ordinances, statutes, regulations and constitutional provisions.
Looking for a paper topic? Look at the Current Awareness part of this guide to discover hot issues in planning and zoning.
Photo: Zoning map, Beach Haven, NJ
- CSU WorldCat searches for articles, as well as Scholar, OhioLINK, and library catalogs around the world.
- Lexis and Westlaw are not searched.
- Add the Legal Collection database of law review articles by going to Advanced Search and clicking on Add/Remove Databases.
Contact a Law Librarian:
Text messages only: 216-539-3331
Search the Library Catalog
Search the library catalog for keywords. Alternatively, do a subject search for Land Use – Law and Legislation – United States, or one of the other related subject headings: