On Westlaw, Lexis and Bloomberg (Generally)
This guide deals with finding actual briefs, pleadings and motions filed with courts. For forms, see Forms and Practice Materials guide.
Lexis and Westlaw.
Many but NOT ALL briefs, pleadings and motions are available on Lexis and Westlaw. The other pages in this guide set out the coverage for these documents on Lexis and Westlaw, as well as identifying free Internet and other sources for finding briefs.
When you pull up a case:
- WestlawNext, click on the tab that says Filings to access briefs, motions and pleadings.
- LexisAdvance, there is a link on the right side to Related Court Materials.
- On Classic Lexis and Westlaw, when briefs are available, there will be a link at the top. However, occasionally briefs are available on Lexis or Westlaw and the link does not appear on the opinion.Check the brief database for availability.
To search all Briefs, Motions & Pleadings:
- LexisAdvance, select Briefs, Pleadings and Motions from Prefilters, or just run a search for everything.
- WestlawNext, select Briefs or Trial Court Documents from the Browse Widget, or just run a search for everything.
- Lexis - Federal and State Briefs and Motions Combined, BRFMOT or Court, Records, Briefs and Filings Menu of Sources.
Recommended One Volume Treatise
Contact a Law Librarian:
Text messages only: 216-539-3331