Search the Library Catalog
To locate additional forms in the Law Library's collection, conduct a keyword search in Scholar using the word "forms" and the word(s) of a legal subject (e.g., probate) or jurisdiction (e.g., Ohio).
Contact a Law Librarian:
Text messages only: 216-539-3331
Rather than originally drafting documents, one can consult sample forms. Form books may include explanations, checklists and annotations to primary and secondary sources. Some jurisdictions have prescribed official forms, so consult a jurisdiction's practice guides and forms before using general guides and forms.
All form sets in this guide are current and up to date unless otherwise specified.
General Hints for Finding Forms on Lexis & Westlaw
- Form books on Lexis and Westlaw include forms and checklists. Checklists enumerate what should be in a document and/or list the steps in a transaction.
- Once you find a form on point it is sometimes a good idea to look at the table of contents. You can see if there are checklists, additional clauses, or an even more relevant form.
- Statutes sometimes contain the text of forms, e.g., deeds.
- Search the Title of the Form: Searching the TITLE field (TI in Westlaw) or HEADING segment (Lexis) can bring back the exact form you want, not just forms that mention your search terms somewhere in the text of the form.
- The Lexis HEADING field does not work in all databases. On Lexis Advance, there is a Post-filter for Form Type (Such as a will).
- On WestlawNext, do an Advanced Form search, and enter a terms and connectors search in the field for Form Title.
- Search words in the text of the form only, not comments: FO( ) or Form field search in Westlaw or WestlawNext finds words in the actual text of the forms, not surrounding comments or notes.
Quick Links for Forms
Lexis Advance (Select Forms from the Content Types pulldown menu)
Ohio Formfinder - OH-FORMFINDER
National Transactional Forms (TRANSFORMS )
Ohio and National Transactional Forms (OH-TRANSFORMS)
National Pleading and Practice Forms (FORMS-PP)
Ohio Legal and Business & Pleading and Practice Forms Combined (OH-LFPP)
All Transactions LexisNexis Forms - LNFABT
All Litigation LexisNexis Forms - LNFLTA
LexisNexis Transactions and Regulatory Checklists - LNFTRC
Ohio Transactions LexisNexis Forms - LFOHTR
Ohio Litigation LexisNexis Forms - LFOHLT